Couples voice concern over UK economy
One in five couples could
not survive beyond four weeks
if redundancy were to hit.
• Almost a third of women (30pc) are concerned that their partner may be made redundant in 2009, rising to 41pc of women aged 25 - 34
• 55pc of women would not feel financially secure if their partner were to lose their job
• The most insecure age group is the 35 - 44 year olds, with 60pc of women saying that they would feel financially insecure if the relationship were to collapse
• More than one in ten women (11pc) say that they could not survive beyond one week if their partner were to lose their job
• Almost one in five couples (17pc) say that they could not survive financially beyond one month if one of them were to lose their job
• 26pc of couples have no savings at all
• Couples who are over 55 are the most financially secure age group with 15pc able to survive indefinitely on their savings, if one of them were to lose their job
UK adults have voiced their fears over the UK economy according to independent research commissioned by credit report provider www.callcreditcheck.com, with almost one in five couples (17pc) saying that they could not survive financially beyond one month if one of them were to lose their job. Fears over redundancy and saving levels appear to be highest among women aged 25 - 34 years of age, with one in four saying they would be unable to cope financially beyond one month if their partner was made redundant.
With almost one third of women (30pc) and one in five men concerned that their partner may lose their job in 2009, financial stress can cause real problems for couples and can even lead to a breakdown of the relationship. Just over half of all women (55pc) say that splitting up with their partner would leave them feeling financially vulnerable, a sentiment echoed by 49pc of men. The most concerned group appears to be women aged 35 to 44 years, with 60pc saying that they would feel financially insecure if their relationship were to collapse.
"Arguments over money can cause real problems in a relationship and 2009 is set to be a very difficult year for many couples, especially those faced with the threat of redundancy, along with rising bills and remortgage worries," comments Owen Roberts, head of www.callcreditcheck.com. "Our advice to anyone who is struggling with debt repayments, whether single or in a couple is to speak with their lenders before things become unmanageable or contact an independent organisation such as the Consumer Credit Counselling Service to work out the best way forward."
Callcredit's tips to beat the credit crunch
1. Set your budget and stick to it. Make sure you can realistically afford what you spend
2. Don't go too mad on payday. Having too much month at the end of your money is never an enjoyable experience!
3. If you do go shopping try using cash, it will highlight just how much you're spending
4. Do your homework. Use price comparison sites to make sure you're getting the best deals out there
5. Check your credit report at www.callcreditcheck.com - a snapshot of all your financial commitments will show you where you can improve your credit rating and save money
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 1962 adults, screened to focus on couples who were married or living together. Fieldwork was undertaken between 23rd - 29th December 2008. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).
Notes to Editors
Spokespeople are available - please contact the Callcredit Press Office on 0207 067 0415
About Callcredit Check
• Callcredit Check is the consumer arm of credit reference
agency Callcredit, providing consumers with instant online access
to their credit report and services to help them monitor their
• Callcredit is the UK's most innovative and customer-focused Credit Reference Agency, with an established reputation for service differentiation; focusing on listening to clients and creating innovative solutions that deliver real business value. Find out more at www.callcredit.co.uk
• Callcredit is one of six core businesses that form the
Callcredit Information Group (CIG). CIG brings together experts
across the fields of credit referencing, marketing services,
interactive solutions and consultative analytics to enable our
client base of businesses and consumers to make informed decisions
using our innovative products and services.
The group is made up of two complementary divisions:
? Credit Solutions, encompassing Callcredit, Legatio and DecisionMetrics - specialists in credit risk, ID verification services and tracing tools.
? Marketing Solutions, providing specialist knowledge in customer analytics, consumer targeting, database building and hosting, marketing communications, business modelling and market analysis through three market leaders in their own fields: EuroDirect, Broadsystem and GMAP Consulting.