Callcredit: Turn May Day into Pay Day
With the euro exchange rate pushing up the price of a short break, rising fuel prices and recent chaos at UK airports, we're likely to see more Brits choosing to stay at home over the May bank holiday.
This extra day at home is an ideal opportunity for consumers to save money by getting their finances in order, according to credit reference agency Callcredit. Experts calculate that by making a few simple changes - such as shopping around for the best deals - consumers can save literally hundreds of pounds.
But the first step to turning May Day into Pay Day is by checking your credit report. This will not only give you a snapshot of all your financial commitments at once, it will also give you the chance to spruce up your file and make your credit rating as attractive as possible, especially important during the tightening credit crunch
"Regularly checking your credit report is an essential part of a healthy financial lifestyle," commented Graham Lund, Deputy Managing Director at Callcredit. "While fixing the bathroom or tidying the garden may be the most obvious stay-at-home activities, checking your credit report could be the most profitable piece of DIY you do over the long weekend."
Callcredit's top tips to making bank holiday savings
1. Leave the car at home and go for a walk - fresh air and exercise are good for both you and your wallet
2. Swap a restaurant meal for a picnic - and if the weather is grey, spread a blanket on the floor in the living room
3. Get crafty - you can make lots of fun things for very little - check out http://www.craftideas.info
4. If you do go shopping try using cash, it will highlight just how much you're spending
5. Check your credit report at www.callcreditcheck.com - a snapshot of all your financial commitments will show you where you can improve your credit rating and save money
• Callcredit (www.callcredit.co.uk) is the UK's most innovative, state-of-the art credit reference agency, with an extensive range of information and value added services for businesses and individuals.
• Callcredit check (www.callcreditcheck.com) is the consumer arm of credit reference agency Callcredit, providing consumers with instant online access to their credit report and services to help them monitor their credit status.
• Callcredit has harnessed state-of-the-art information technology with an unrivalled knowledge of the industry's needs to develop a range of innovative information solutions. Solutions that are enabling major lenders and a host of other blue chip companies to address regulatory requirements, make better credit decisions, target new customers more effectively and manage existing customers more profitably.
• Callcredit is one of six core businesses that form the Skipton
Information Group. The other five are:
• Database management company EuroDirect
• Market analysis firm GMAP Consulting
• Online payment service provider, Legatio
• Scorecard development and affordability assessment specialist DecisionMetrics
• Marketing services and database specialist, Broadsystem