Automotive Focus: Smart

Did you know…?

Key Statistics:

  • Automotive experts GMAP Consulting (part of Callcredit Information Group) have analysed the latest market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data to provide an insight into the 47,285 Smart cars currently registered in the UK.

  • Smart cars represent 0.126% of UK registered vehicles.

  • Smart ranks as the 39th most favoured make by UK consumers.

  • The gender split of Smart car owners is even with 41.32% of UK Smart cars belong to private female owners, and 41.43% to males. 9.00% are company car owned. The remaining cars have no gender assigned.

  • 57.43% of Smart cars are coupes and 23.66% are convertibles.

  • 15.57% of Smart car owners have chosen to put private plates on their vehicle.

  • 0.02% of Smart cars are classified as Imports.

  • 23.48% of Smart cars are manual transmission and 76.52% are automatic.

  • The top 10 locations to see Smart cars are: Birmingham, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, London SW, Brighton, Guildford, Sheffield, Portsmouth, Bristol and Kingston Upon Thames. Together these locations contain 19.35% of all UK Smart cars.

  • The most popular model is the Smart fortwo, making up 40.54% of the UK Smart car market, followed by the Smart City with 27.48% and the Smart forfour with 18.78%.

  • The top two favoured colours are Silver/Aluminium (52.11%) and Black (42.22%) which together make up almost all (94.32%) UK Smart cars. Even though the majority of Smart cars are registered as Black or Silver, they often customised, especially for small businesses who splash their branding and company colours across the cars for publicity. So an array or colours and patterns are visible on the roads, despite the official statistics.

  • 28.84% of Smart cars are less than 24 months old and 56.49% are younger than 4 years old.

  • 52.19% have an engine size below 749. 37.58% have engine sizes between 750 and 1149. The remaining 10.23% have engine sizes above 1150.

  • 68.10% of UK Smart cars are classified as Minis, 18.78% as Superminis and 13.13% as Sports cars.

This analysis has been performed by GMAP using current market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data.