Automotive Focus: Small Family Cars

Did you know…?

Key Statistics:

  • There are 8,278,685 Small Family Cars currently registered in the UK. This represents 22.044% of UK registered vehicles.

  • 28.76% of UK Small Family Cars belong to private female owners, and 53.41% by males. 10.66% are company car owned. The genders owning the remaining cars are unknown.

  • 63.68% of Small Family Cars are 5 Door Hatchbacks and 14.48% are 3 Door Hatchbacks.

  • 9.00% of Small Family Car owners have chosen to put private plates on their vehicle.

  • Only 0.64% of Small Family Cars are classified as Imports.

  • 91.00% of Small Family Cars are manual transmission and 9.00% are automatic.

  • The top 10 locations to see Small Family Cars are: Birmingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Nottingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Peterborough, Bristol, Chester and Reading. Together these locations contain 19.00% of all Small Family Cars. 

  • The most popular make of Small Family Car is Ford which leads the market with 19.79%, followed but Vauxhall with 15.96% and Volkswagen with 13.09%

  • The most popular model of Small Family Car is the Vauxhall Astra, making up 15.94% of the market, closely followed by the Ford Focus with 13.36% and the Volkswagen Golf with 10.89%. 7 years since they were last sold new, Ford Escorts are still the fourth most driven Small Family Car.

  • The top two favoured colours are Blue (23.28%) and Silver/Aluminium (22.69%) which together make up 45.97% of all Small Family Cars. Red (14.65%) and Black (12.54%) follow close behind. 

  • 15.15% are less than 24 months old, 29.29% are younger than 4 years old and 26.21% of Small Family Cars are over 10 years old.

  • 25.32% have an engine size less than 1549, 38.53% have engine sizes between 1550 and 1749, 22.38% have engine sizes between 1750 and 1949. The remaining 13.77% have engine sizes above 1950.

This analysis has been performed by GMAP using current market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data.