Automotive Focus: Small Family Cars
Did you know…?
- There are 8,278,685 Small Family Cars
currently registered in the UK. This represents
22.044% of UK registered vehicles.
- 28.76% of UK Small Family Cars belong to
private female owners, and 53.41% by males.
10.66% are company car owned. The genders owning
the remaining cars are unknown.
- 63.68% of Small Family Cars are 5 Door
Hatchbacks and 14.48% are 3 Door Hatchbacks.
- 9.00% of Small Family Car owners have chosen
to put private plates on their vehicle.
- Only 0.64% of Small Family Cars are classified
- 91.00% of Small Family Cars are manual
transmission and 9.00% are automatic.
- The top 10 locations to see Small Family Cars
are: Birmingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Nottingham, Glasgow,
Manchester, Peterborough, Bristol, Chester and Reading. Together
these locations contain 19.00% of all Small Family
- The most popular make of Small Family Car is Ford which leads
the market with 19.79%, followed but Vauxhall with
15.96% and Volkswagen with
- The most popular model of Small Family Car is the Vauxhall
Astra, making up 15.94% of the market, closely
followed by the Ford Focus with 13.36% and the
Volkswagen Golf with 10.89%. 7 years since they
were last sold new, Ford Escorts are still the fourth most driven
Small Family Car.
- The top two favoured colours are Blue (23.28%)
and Silver/Aluminium (22.69%) which together make
up 45.97% of all Small Family Cars.
Red (14.65%) and Black (12.54%)
follow close behind.
- 15.15% are less than 24 months old,
29.29% are younger than 4 years old and
26.21% of Small Family Cars are over 10 years
- 25.32% have an engine size less than 1549, 38.53% have engine sizes between 1550 and 1749, 22.38% have engine sizes between 1750 and 1949. The remaining 13.77% have engine sizes above 1950.
This analysis has been performed by GMAP using current market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data.