Automotive Focus: Small 4x4s

Did you know...?

Key Statistics:

  • There are 889,206 small 4x4s currently registered in the UK.

  • This represents 2.930% of UK registered cars.

  • 31.34% of small 4x4s belong to private female owners, and 52.89% are owned by males. 8.39% are company car owned. The genders owning the remaining cars are unknown.

  • 23.37% of small 4x4 owners have chosen to put private plates on their vehicles.

  • Only 0.64% of small 4x4s are classified as Imports.

  • 79.45% of small 4x4s are manual transmission whilst the remaining 20.55% are automatic.

  • The top 10 locations to see small 4x4s are: London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Glasgow, Peterborough, Reading, Nottingham, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Chester and Tunbridge Wells. Together these locations contain 19.46% of all small 4x4s.

  • The most popular small 4x4 make is Land Rover which dominates the market with a 22.66% share. Next in line are Honda with 16.63% and Suzuki with 15.48%.

  • The most popular small 4x4 model is the Land Rover Freelander, making up 22.66% of the small 4x4 market, followed by the Honda CR-V with 14.88% and Toyota Rav4 with 14.80%.  

  • The top two favoured colours are Silver/Aluminium (25.82%) and Black (19.07%) which together make up 44.89% of all small 4x4s. Blue (18.59%) and Grey (10.22%) follow close behind.

  • 18.24% are less than 24 months old, 39.46% are younger than 4 years old and 14.33% of small 4x4s are over 10 years old.

  • 24.21% have an engine size less than 1949, 65.53% have an engine size between 1950 and 2449, The remaining 10.26% have an engine size between above 2450.

This analysis has been performed by GMAP using current market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data.