Automotive Focus: Large 4x4s

Did you know…?

Key Statistics:

  • There are 932,145 large 4x4s currently registered in the UK.

  • This represents 2.482% of UK registered vehicles.

  • 34.93% of large 4x4s are classed as prestige vehicles.

  • 17.90% of large 4x4s belong to private female owners, and 63.53% are owned by males. 11.84% are company car owned. The genders owning the remaining cars are unknown.

  • An impressive 41.99% of large 4x4 owners have chosen to put private plates on their vehicle, proving its all about 'show' for these gas-guzzlers!

  • 2.06% of large 4x4s are classified as Imports.

  • 49.67% of large 4x4s are manual transmission and 50.33% are automatic.

  • The top 10 locations to see large 4x4s are: Birmingham, Sheffield, Peterborough, Reading, Tunbridge Wells, Chester, Nottingham, Coventry, Chelmsford and Guilford. Together these locations contain 17.70% of all 4x4s.

  • The most popular large 4x4 make is Land Rover which dominates the market with a 34.63% share. Next in line are Mitsubishi with 9.69% and Jeep with 9.38%.

  • The most popular large 4x4 model is the Land Rover Discovery, making up 22.90% of the large 4x4 market, followed by the Range Rover with 11.73%.

  • The top two favoured colours are Blue (20.33%) and Black (19.60%) which together make up 39.93% of all large 4x4s. Silver/Aluminium (18.92%) and Green (15.10%) follow close behind.

  • 16.37% are less than 24 months old, 32.81% are younger than 4 years old and 32.73% of large 4x4s are over 10 years old.

  • Only 9.46% have an engine size less than 2449, 47.42% have an engine size between 2450 and 2949, 30.00% have an engine size between 2950 and 3949. The remaining 13.13% have engine sizes above 3950.