Football tournament raises £1,500 for prostate cancer research
Yorkshire's financial companies have raised over £1,500 for prostate cancer research by taking part in a 5-a-side football tournament, sponsored by Leeds-based credit reference agency Callcredit.
Sixteen teams battled it out for the Callcredit Prostate Cancer Cup, with dozens of WAGs and other spectators turning out to cheer their teams on. The final was a thrilling encounter between last year's winners Callcredit and Accenture, with Accenture eventually emerging victorious.
Callcredit Chief Executive, Mike Green, presented the trophy to the winning team. Mike said:
"The day was great fun for all involved, but more importantly we succeeded in raising a significant amount of funds for prostate cancer."
Speaking on behalf of The Prostate Cancer Charity, Denise Bailey, said:
"Events like this are vital for our work to continue. As well as raising much needed cash they also dramatically increase awareness about prostate cancer which is the most common cancer in men in the UK."
In addition to the football tournament, staff held a 'Wear-it-Blue-Friday', with individuals donating money for each item of blue clothing worn. Staff restaurant chefs also got into the spirit by serving up a blue-themed menu including blueberry muffins and blue cheese salads.
- Other companies involved in the tournament were: Skipton Building Society, Halifax Bank of Scotland (HBOS), HML, MoneyGroup, EuroDirect and GMAP.
- There are over 32,000 new diagnoses of prostate cancer in the UK each year. In the UK one man dies every hour from prostate cancer. More information is available at www.prostate-cancer.org.uk or www.cancerresearchuk.org.
- Every year nearly 32,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United Kingdom and 10,000 men die from it. Prostate cancer is now the most common cancer diagnosed in men in the UK - every hour at least one man dies from this disease.
- African Caribbean men are three times more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than their white counterparts.
- If you have any queries about prostate cancer call The Prostate Cancer Charity's confidential helpline 0800 748484 which is staffed by specialist nurses and open from 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and Wednesdays from 7 - 9pm.
- If you want to make a donation to The Prostate Cancer Charity call 0208 222 7622 or visit www.prostate-cancer-org.uk
- For further information on Prostate Cancer contact: Kate Stewart or Josie Gray on 020 8222 7653 / 7648. Out of hours contact: 07984 25001