Automotive Focus: Mercedes

Did you know…?

Key Statistics:

  • Automotive experts GMAP Consulting have analysed the latest market statistics from the anonymised DVLA Parc data to provide an insight into the 987,765 Mercedes currently registered in the UK.

  • This represents 2.627% of UK registered vehicles.

  • Mercedes ranks as the 11th most favoured make by UK consumers.

  • 22.42% of UK Mercedes belong to private female owners, and 57.72% by males. 11.70% are company car owned. The remaining cars have no gender assigned. However, it is interesting to note the gender split varies greatly by model. Just short of two thirds of A class owners are women (57%) plus the majority of SLK owners (53%). The vast majority of S Class & CL have male owners (+90%); SL, CLS and E Class follow closely behind. This suggests that the further up market you go in the range, more cars are registered to men.

  • 42.08% of Mercedes are 4 door saloons and 15.12% are estates. 12.86% are Coupes, 12.08% are 5 door hatchbacks and 10.24% are convertibles.

  • An impressive 41.81% of Mercedes owners have chosen to put private plates on their vehicle.

  • 1.29% of Mercedes are classified as Imports.

  • 26.01% of Mercedes are manual transmission and 73.99% are automatic. This is not surprising as most models +£25k no longer offer manual.

  • The top 10 locations to see Mercedes are: Birmingham, London SW, Reading, London N, Kingston Upon Thames, Glasgow, Guildford, Milton Keynes, Leicester and Chester. Together these locations contain 18.94% of all Mercedes.

  • The most popular model is the Mercedes C-Class, making up 31.16% of the UK Mercedes market, followed by the Mercedes E-Class with 16.79% and the Mercedes A-Class with 12.82%.

  • The top two favoured colours are Silver/Aluminium (40.52%) and Black (18.77%) which together make up 59.28% of all UK Mercedes. Blue follows close behind with 18.70%.
  • 15.63% are less than 24 months old, 31.05% are younger than 4 years old and 25.27% of Mercedes are over 10 years old.

  • 11.79% have an engine size below 1749, 51.09% have engine sizes between 1750 and 2449. 37.12% have engine sizes above 2450.